18 January 2014

A Mutt & Jeff Act on TV



Can anybody explain to me why there is so much airtime being given to Bangaru and Nityananda? The first has been indicted, along with his entire family, of scamming funds meant for education and the other for a host of reasons including the aborted takeover of Madurai Adheenam, a rich trove of Shaivaite lore. Both are still drawing huge crowds and this Nityananda chap wears so much gold that exceeds the dowry of my both my sisters. I am totally baffled as to how these two predators are managing to attract more and more people.

By the way there's a Mutt & Jeff comedy act on Angel TV (Channel 741 on Tata Sky). On Pongal day I return from a Kadri concert and caught the end of this comedy act, involving an ardent young chap, in the role of an interviewer, playing the straight man to an elderly chappie whose beard and silvery locks will soon grow to a decent length rivalling Isha's, or the ZZ Top guitarists. I digress.

The first question I heard was from the elderly chap: I saw you earlier walking around waving your hands. Why? he asks. To which the straight guy says: You were talking of the Tower of Babel. I was wondering whether the rooms were round or square. I had just then lit up a fag, so by the time I had choked out and cleared my lungs, I'd missed the answer.

But then there was plenty more material. I have met a couple of people, he declares, who have come back from visiting the Halls of Yeshuva (that's what he calls his Lord, don't know if he is talking about the Father or the Son) and Lucifer. Since I am pretty sure I will have need for knowledge on Lucifer who I'm pretty sure to meet up with some time soon, I thought I'd pay attention. Did you know, the elder asks with a straight face, that Lucifer's mansion is exactly like the Lord's? No says, the straight man. Yes, insists the line-stealer. His throne is exactly similar and he too has his assistants and goons around him just as Yeshuva. I'm pretty sure he meant minions but I think the sub-ed in charge of sub-titles struck out on that one.

By the time I had tried to figure out who would visit one, then the other and then return to earth, he was off again. This time he was talking on how 50% of France was made up of Muslims and that of London's citizens 40% were Muslims as well. Then, he declared, there were moves "to change London's name to Londonistan, like Pakistan" (the words within quotes are exactly as those on screen).

He also had joyous news for both Hindu and Muslims zealots. Churches and cathedrals were being bought over and converted to Temples and Mosques, he said.

Just as it had got intriguing, the show's air time was up. So he ended on a note that has been tantalising me since then. Talking about the Book of Revelations, he reminded the young man about the four horses that will emerge after the first four seals are broken. Where do horses come from, he asks to which the reply is Arabia. What are horses known for, he then asks. Speed, endurance and speed, says Mr. Bones. 

Ponder on these until we meet again, the elder tells both the interviewer and me. And on this intriguing note the show ended, leaving me with more questions than answers.

Cheers

No comments: